Bye:

Art of war 

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

It was an excellent book, out of the 13 chapters my favorite is nine grounds,

the book is filled with wisdom and benevolence 

4.4/5

next I’m starting the 7 habits of highly effective people by Stephen Covey

but if DHL drops my order of Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, I’ll read it that first.

I have finished the 7 habits of highly effective people.

3.3/5 while it does have amazing tips and tricks to lead a better life and I do enjoy self help books, but maybe this month have been tough and I didn’t feel motivated at all by it, actually I feel more hmm down.

but I picked this new book up since my DHL delivery didn’t arrive.

It’s fun and childish but I love it till now

It’s calls the psychology book

This is the book

i like till now

damn I suck at adding images...

luluandfloyd:

These look like a whole lot of fun. I especially like the "The Psychology Book" which looks quite humorous.

It is ! It makes me feel childish again x)

[Drama Lovers book club "A Book a Month"]

Reporting after one week! I have managed to read through Haruki Murakami's "Underground" in a flash.

Whew, there is a lot of stuff to take in over the course of almost 500 pages. Murakami really went into great detail with regards to recreating the Tokyo subway attacks minute by minute, situation by situation. We get to hear lots of testimonies from the survivors of the ordeal who often share gut-wrenching stories about happened to them.

Interestingly, this is not where the international version of the book ends. After the Japanese release in 1998, Murakami purposely added for the English edition his 20-page essay on Aum Shinrikyo, and also included roughly 100 pages of interviews with ex-Aum members. This section is also a goldmine of information on the cult and how it operated prior to 1995.

All in all, this book may be the only instance of investigative journalism in Murakami's literary repertoire, but he nails it like a boss.

PS The book inspired me to write MDL editiorial, so... stay tuned!

In view of the fact that May is still ongoing, I'm taking up Murakami's "First Person Singular".

"Hammurabi was not the first lawgiver—Ur-Nammu had scooped him in this regard—but his laws are certainly the most complete to survive from ancient times, and they show an amazingly wide range of concerns. Penalties for robbery (death), aiding in the escape of a slave (death), kidnapping (death), designing a house that collapses on someone else’s head (death), and the poor performance of an obligation to the king (death) … " - Susan Wise Bauer (The History of the Ancient World)

Death seems to have taken care of just about everything!

Just realized I never updated my May plans, not that they changed, haha.  I am still reading Possession.  About 1/5 of the way through now, and it's picking up!  It took me a while to get into this one.  So hopefully I can finish by the end of the month :)

luluandfloyd:
5. Empress Orchid by Anchee Min. About the Dowager Empress and the political world she lived in. I learned a lot about that period of history in China.

I fell down the Anchee Min rabbit hole several years back and Empress Orchid was my favorite of her novels.  Red Azalea is worth reading if you are interested in the author's life.  (This reminds me I never got around to the second of her memoirs, though!)

zeamays:

Just realized I never updated my May plans, not that they changed, haha.  I am still reading Possession.  About 1/5 of the way through now, and it's picking up!  It took me a while to get into this one.  So hopefully I can finish by the end of the month :)

I fell down the Anchee Min rabbit hole several years back and Empress Orchid was my favorite of her novels.  Red Azalea is worth reading if you are interested in the author's life.  (This reminds me I never got around to the second of her memoirs, though!)

Did you read The Cooked Seed? I checked it out but haven't started it yet. I've been reading alot of Asian American authors lately. Started long ago with Maxine Hong Kingston who I really liked. I'm always open to finding new ones.

luluandfloyd:

Did you read The Cooked Seed? I checked it out but haven't started it yet. I've been reading alot of Asian American authors lately. Started long ago with Maxine Hong Kingston who I really liked. I'm always open to finding new ones.

The Crooked Seed is the one I have not gotten to yet.  It's the only book of hers I have not read.  It's on the (never ending) to-read list, though.

Just realised I forgot to update myself xd. 

April read: By The Pricking Of My Thumb by Agatha Christie

Book chosen for May: Postern Of Fate by Agatha Christie.

May Reading : Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 

- will try to update every monday on my progress 

oche:

Jane Eyre is one of my most fave classic books and I've watched many of its adaptations on screen - the miniseries of 2006 was exceptionally well made :) 

oche:

Jane Eyre is one of my favorites! Looking forward to your progress reports :-)

luluandfloyd:
The language is exquisite and I never tire of it.

I agree on the language, one of the reasons I love it so much.

I was blocked by one of the club member, but I still can see the person feeds here and the notification shows for me too, for me its okay since I was the one blocked, but the person is not hidden from me properly like it might wanted xD

at chapter 50 of 2ha , still got a long way to go , my goal is just to catch up with the english translation for now .

Also , I don't know if visual novels count but I finished ciconia no naku koro ni , which was around 30 hours and I consider that an achievement 

Thanks for the best share and if you watch more movies and books.