Vals Stor:

@Maggi64

Your last 2 lines were exactly my point: 

"I think the other commenter thought we were only including the US in our comments, cuz some people tend to think the US is the center of the world, lol."

We were discussing the US because we're both American, not because we think the US is the center of the world. If that were the case, we wouldn't be discussing Asian BL, we'd be watching American LGBTQ+ media. I have no idea about local conditions in France, so I'm not qualified to comment. I do, however, know which areas of the USA are gay safe and which aren't. I just got a recruitment call for a high-level corporate job at Walmart, but there's no chance in hell I'm moving to Bentonville, Arkansas.

@jpny01
I like your explanation about The West. I just wonder what do you consider as western Europe? Do countries like Poland, Slovakia, Hungary count as The West?

@Maggi64
You wrote "I hate when a BL shoves a girlfriend in our face. It makes it far less believable that the guy is bi." and I understand your point of view and that this is how it makes you feel, but please, allow me to disagree. Having a girlfriend doesn't make a bi man straight, just like having a boyfriend doesn't make him gay. A bisexual is a bisexual (at least in my book). I've seen too many times people applauding a bisexual for having same-sex relationships, while disregarding their opposite-sex relationships or vice versa. I think all relationships should be equally respected.
May I also add - you really remind me of my English literature professor from uni. She was an elderly woman, but very open-minded and she recommended us films like "Maurice" or "My beautiful laundrette". She was really cool :)

I love a thought-provoking, substantive discussion like this! It's fascinating to read everyone's opinions and various reasons for liking BL. After reading through this topic I feel compelled to put my two cents in.
Reason 1 - Forbidden fruit
There is a strange appeal in the things we're not allowed to do. First, I have to explain something about myself. I grew up in a conservative family in a pretty conservative country. In other words, I grew up in a world, where everyone was considered heterosexual and LGBTQ+ people were non-existent or invisible at best. I was 16 when I finally got my own PC connected to the Internet. I wanted to practice languages, so I started watching British and German soap operas. To my surprise, there were LGBT characters, who were presented as normal people and not some deviants. That was an eye-opening experience and it made me curious about LGBTQ+ content in media. Of course, I could only watch it in secret, because if my family found out... I would be in trouble. A year later I discovered Asian dramas and so I started watching BL films (dramas have not yet existed). That's how BLs became my dirty little secret ;)
I wonder if that might be a reason why so many women in Asia like BL? Because being a fujoshi is still frowned upon, secretly being one can be quite thrilling, don't you think?
Reason 2 - Sense of belonging
Times were different when I started watching dramas. It was such an unusual hobby, that I was seen as a weirdo. It was hard to find anyone interested in anything Asian, so when I met my now best friend we instantly clicked, even though she was keen on manga & anime, while I was more into kpop & dramas. We shared our interests with each other and that's how I found out she's a yaoist. She introduced me to my two other friends, one of which is a slash shipper and fanfic writer. You could say we were all interested in LGBT-related content, so it pulled me even more into BL (I made them watch some with me). To be among friends with similar interests who would not judge me nor condemn me - this feeling can't be compared to any other, incredibly liberating. Extra reason - we always have a topic for discussion, since my bestie reads mangas on which BL dramas I'm watching are based on.
I realise not everyone is this lucky to have such amazing friends in real life, but among younger generation, with the Internet being easily accessible and BL becoming more and more popular, it's not hard to find other BL fans and become a part of the fandom. After all, sharing similar interests unites people and makes them grow closer.
Reason 3 - Heterosexual?
When me and my friends formed our little "fujoshi" group we were four straight girls. Over ten years have passed and now only half of us declare themselves a heterosexual woman. We were either brainwashed by BL or it made us open our eyes to other possibilities than being heterosexual by default.
This made me think about what jpny01 wrote about this one research: "Sinophone audiences are overwhelmingly straight and female, whereas Anglophone audiences contain men and are much more diverse in gender identification". I'm doubtful whether these Asian women are as straight as they think. I feel that growing up in traditionalist families  in a conservative society makes one discover their sexuality late or makes them deny it (especially if they're bisexual).
Reason 4 - Addiction
As my friend said "Once you step in, you will never find a way out". Well, I find dramas in general to be addictive and BLs are no exception. In my case there is an extra factor - I have been there from the beginning. I've seen the companies "testing the waters", I've seen the very first BL drama, I've watched the genre develop and change with time. To be able to witness this growth feels quite special and I can't help, but support BL productions (so I keep on watching).
I also agree with reasons 1, 4 and 5 provided by Maggi64. Although the fifth one doesn't always apply. There are still a lot of dramas set in high school or university, so it would be awkward to feel attracted to these young boys. I really long for more BL dramas with mature men like "Old Fashioned Cupcake" or "What Did You Eat Yesterday?". With each passing year I care less and less about their looks and more and more about engaging storyline.
These are the main reasons why I watch BL. There are still many tropes that make me frustrated and are bad for my health, yet I just can't seem to stop watching BL. It's an addiction, I swear...

I think there are two ways to define Western Europe. One is in the idea sense, which I think includes the mature democracies.  The geographic definition is more restrictive.

So for the first, I'd draw the line to include all of Scandanavia, then including Germany, Austria, and Italy and everything Westerward. 

For the second, it's France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg, and Liechtenstein.

I do think Poland et. al count as The West. Usually Australia & NZ are included too.

Regarding the Bi question, I can think of only one character that identified as Bi, and that was Fiat in a series the name of which I can't remember. While most BL characters are "functionally bi", I think almost all of them are straight. That's a central element of BL - it's about straight guys getting together. They're not gay or bi, they're straight, with one, and only one, exception. That's becoming less the case, especially in Filipino BL.

Can you think of one single seme that was even slighly effeminate, other thant wearing clothing that's way too fashionable and uncomfortable? Even ukes are almost never effeminate in behavior, although sometimes he is situationally, like being a home economics major or fainting because sunlight touched him. "Feminine" in BL is usually the definition people might have used in the Victorian Era, which BL is stuck in.

I'd say the trope "I'm straight and only gay for you" is dying out. Often the characters don't talk about their sexuality openly, so we, as viewers, may assume they're bi. Also, it seems to me that more and more characters are becoming open about their sexuality. Off the top of my head, Payu in Love in the Air said he was bi, Seeiw in My Only 12% said he was gay and I could probably find a few more examples.

Femininity in BL is interesting topic. If I see an effeminate man in BL they're usually there for comedic purpose. Plus I doubt an effeminate seme would sell well, so I don't think we'll ever see one in BL.

ZhouYanRan:

I'd say the trope "I'm straight and only gay for you" is dying out. Often the characters don't talk about their sexuality openly, so we, as viewers, may assume they're bi. Also, it seems to me that more and more characters are becoming open about their sexuality. Off the top of my head, Payu in Love in the Air said he was bi, Seeiw in My Only 12% said he was gay and I could probably find a few more examples.

Femininity in BL is interesting topic. If I see an effeminate man in BL they're usually there for comedic purpose. Plus I doubt an effeminate seme would sell well, so I don't think we'll ever see one in BL.

Yes, effeminate men are always comic relief and usually pathetic predators who paw and screech at every half-attractive man that wanders by.

The only notable exception is Secret Crush on You, where all the ukes were flaming, which was a nice change. Asian dramas are not the only ones guilty of using straight-acting characters - of the three most prominent lgbt series in recent times, Heartstopper, Young Royals, and Elite, all of them feature straight-acting gay main characters.

I agree that straight and only gay for one man is declining in frequency, but I think it will be a long time before it dies out.  One of the first times I can think of where a main charater identified as gay was Cupid Coach, which is not a series I would expect to be groundbreaking. Filipino BLs are quite good about this. Unfortunately that's all most of them are good at.

ZhouYanRan:

@jpny01
I like your explanation about The West. I just wonder what do you consider as western Europe? Do countries like Poland, Slovakia, Hungary count as The West?

@Maggi64
You wrote "I hate when a BL shoves a girlfriend in our face. It makes it far less believable that the guy is bi." and I understand your point of view and that this is how it makes you feel, but please, allow me to disagree. Having a girlfriend doesn't make a bi man straight, just like having a boyfriend doesn't make him gay. A bisexual is a bisexual (at least in my book). I've seen too many times people applauding a bisexual for having same-sex relationships, while disregarding their opposite-sex relationships or vice versa. I think all relationships should be equally respected.
May I also add - you really remind me of my English literature professor from uni. She was an elderly woman, but very open-minded and she recommended us films like "Maurice" or "My beautiful laundrette". She was really cool :)

Well, I might be considered an "elderly woman" by some because I am 55, lol.   In fact, I was in college in the late 80's  when  "Maurice" and "My Beautiful Laundrette" first came out.  I LOVE both those films!  Most people in the BL fandom were not even born yet until the 90's.

As for "the girlfriend shoved in our faces," I just wish that BL's would acknowledge that a guy who has a girlfriend and then falls for a man actually is bisexual. But, as jpny01 said, we almost never hear the word "bisexual" in BL's.  Instead, it's always, "I'm really straight, but just gay for you."  I think the presence of the girlfriend in such shows is to nail home the "really straight" aspect.   

There are some exceptions, of course.  I never saw the one jpny01 cited, but "The End of the World With You," had a character who openly identified himself with the word "bisexual." And the show portrayed him having both girl and boy sexual partners.  But I really cannot think of that many other BL's that identify a character as bisexual.   

ZhouYanRan ,

Thank you for your story of how you discovered BL's, and how it is for a person in a conservative country where LGBT is not openly portrayed in the media.  Your description of why women in  more conservative countries are particularly drawn to BLs makes sense.

I think it's fascinating that you secretly discovered openly gay people on German and British shows and then took your journey on the way to BL's from there.  It seems to be like some secret  you discovered while isolated and, thus, meeting other BL fans online was like finding water in the desert!  Your explanation of the online BL fandom providing what you called "a sense of community" for people who live in areas where they can't talk about LGBT issues openly at work, at the dinner table, etc, is very interesting.  

I really appreciated your comment and your personal story.   May I ask what country you are from?

@Maggie64 I'm right there with you at 55. My Beautiful Laundrette was so huge at the time because it was the first time that the leads were gay without it being a movie about being gay - they just happened to be. I saw Maurice with a professor who was English and went to Cambridge and basically lived Maurice - that's a film that hit hard. When he was in school, he was actually friends with E M Forster and used to go to his place with a stack of records and listen to Wagner together. I asked if that was a Euphemism and got a spanking for it. The use of Allegri's Miserere in that scene where they were sitting in Maurice's room was spectacular and perfect.

Older guys used to joke about Maurice and Scudder, "I give them two months at best", which is probably a realistic estimate, but of course we all imagine they lived happily ever after. 

A lot of BL couples are not very good long-term prospects. Nhai might be cute now, but eventually Ai will strangle him.

I loved precisely the aspect of My Beautiful Laundrette that you mentioned -- ie, the character's gayness was incidental to the story.   And man, what  a surprise to see Danielle Day Lewis in that punker role after he'd just played an effete, English twit in Merchant & Ivory's "A Room With a View" that year.

As for Maurice and Scudder's future, there's an interesting tidbit on the Wikipedia page for the novel that says Forster wrote an epilogue about them.  He not only gave them more than 2 months, but gave them a whole lifetime together!  I'll just copy/paste what was on Wikipedia for you:

/////////////////////////////////

The epilogue contains a meeting between Maurice and his sister Kitty some years later. Alec and Maurice have by now become woodcutters. It dawns upon Kitty why her brother disappeared. This portion of the novel underlines the extreme dislike that Kitty feels for her brother. The epilogue ends with Maurice and Alec in each other's arms at the end of the day and discussing seeing Kitty and resolving that they must move on to avoid detection or a further meeting.

I was so in love with Freddie (Rupert Graves) and his floppy hair. Sad about Julian Sands.

I've been following this discussion but I'm not sure I've read everyone's comments.  I'm not sure if someone mentioned something about liking the idea of two straight men who show their romantic side, but are essentially two hetero men (personality-wise).  What might be appealing about this is the kind of no-nonsense, practical sensibility that a lot of men have.  They also avoid some of the negative feminine traits, especially things like passive-aggressive gossiping.  Even as they are romantic, they are not effusively romantic like some woman - even look at things like the simpler weddings that these guys have in BL's.  It's kind of a curtailed romance that is appealing to some people who get tired of the overly dramatic romances in a lot hetero series/movies.  I know Maggie in her 5th point mentioned having 2x, of the men you like in a romance, but it's not just about physical looks.  A lot of women would prefer 2x of the personality that hetero men have in a given relationship.  

Without reading every post,  I can tell you why I and my BF watch BL and enjoy it.  

1)  it tends to be a little steamier than the average K drama or C drama

2)  we like Asian BL not European or any other, as we like the smooth, coffee cream skin  and Black hair

3)  we like the  "Romance"  and that as others have mentioned in the few posts I read,  they are usually relatively equal.  

4)  there is something about two rather beautiful men kissing and skinship

AlexandraMiller:

Without reading every post,  I can tell you why I and my BF watch BL and enjoy it.  

1)  it tends to be a little steamier than the average K drama or C drama

2)  we like Asian BL not European or any other, as we like the smooth, coffee cream skin  and Black hair

3)  we like the  "Romance"  and that as others have mentioned in the few posts I read,  they are usually relatively equal.  

4)  there is something about two rather beautiful men kissing and skinship

I'm glad you said this - it kind of matches my theory that we're overthinking it, and people like watching two cute guys together, preferably Asian.  

I wish they were even more equal, because the uke and seme are basically two entirely different genders.

I'm one of the only people that doesn't like Stay With Me, which is 20 episodes of nothing happening, but what's disappointing is that in Addicted the two were entirely equal - if anything, the "uke" (quotes because he wasn't really one) was stronger in most ways. Now he has to be hospitalized if rain touches him.

AthenaTheStorierX:
gay guys won't watch BL

Thank you for speaking up for us, gay men.  :)