jpny01:

There is one other semi-common way a gay guy can get with a straight guy - in their late teens/early 20s, guys are open to experiment, and they might let you - this is starting to become an NC-17 discussion - do something that involves getting on your knees.  There are 3 drivers: girls generally are not enthusiastic about doing that, whereas gay guys enjoy it, so generally we do it with a lot more enthusiasm and skill; they can shut their eyes and imagine a girl because no guy parts are touching them; and they can be as rough as they want - what's hot for me would probably feel like attempted murder for a teenage girl.

But that's clearly transactional, purely sexual, and he's thinking of someone else, so not really a Destined One True Love situation. But a lot better than being beaten to death.

I've actually seen the portrayal of a gay guy giving a straight guy a blow job in a couple of different movies/shows.  It happened in that Dennis Leary show from 15 years ago called Rescue Me. The characters were all macho firemen, and one guy gets a roommate whom he discovers later on is gay.  The gay guy tells him to close his eyes and pretend it's a woman's mouth on his penis, and proceeds to give him a blow job.  I am sure such a thing happens in real life too. 

So, yes, there is a situation wherein a straight guy can get jiggy with a gay guy.  But a BJ under those conditions  would be a one-shot sexual encounter, not a relationship.   Moreover, the straight guy is imagining the gay guy as a girl which proves he is not open to having One Penis On The Planet go any further with him.  In short, this sort of sexual encounter does not lead to a relationship in real life, while it often does so in BL's. 

jpny01:

There is one other semi-common way a gay guy can get with a straight guy - in their late teens/early 20s, guys are open to experiment, and they might let you - this is starting to become an NC-17 discussion - do something that involves getting on your knees.  There are 3 drivers: girls generally are not enthusiastic about doing that, whereas gay guys enjoy it, so generally we do it with a lot more enthusiasm and skill; they can shut their eyes and imagine a girl because no guy parts are touching them; and they can be as rough as they want - what's hot for me would probably feel like attempted murder for a teenage girl.

But that's clearly transactional, purely sexual, and he's thinking of someone else, so not really a Destined One True Love situation. But a lot better than being beaten to death.

Sorry to interfere -i ve got an objection- but "girls generally are not enthusiastic about that" is not true at all. I can guarantee that as as straight woman. It clearly depends on someone's likes/dislikes like everything else.

Another thing i 'd like to point out is the common mistake of considering only US as Western World.

For the Eastern World, west is also European countries and Balkan countries.

Yeap, in US its easier to come out as an LGBTQ person, whereas in southern european countries and Balkan ones, things are waaaaay more difficult. Strong patriarchal societies, religious mindset, "Family over all" mentality, conservatism to the bone etc.

Another thing i 'd like to point out is the common mistake of considering only US as Western World.

Yeap, in US its easier to come out as an LGBTQ person, whereas in southern european countries and Balkan ones, things are waaaaay more difficult. Strong patriarchal societies, religious mindset, "Family over all" mentality, conservatism to the bone etc.

Vals Stor, I beg to differ. "The West", at least in my book, is more of a concept rather than a geographical location. I wouldn't consider post-Yugoslavian or Balkanic countries as The West. I see The West as those more progressive countries, whether it comes to politics, economy or a way of life, like the UK, Germany or France.

Sorry for going off topic, I will give you my reasons for liking BLs in the next post :)

ZhouYanRan:

Vals Stor, I beg to differ. "The West", at least in my book, is more of a concept rather than a geographical location. I wouldn't consider post-Yugoslavian or Balkanic countries as The West. I see The West as those more progressive countries, whether it comes to politics, economy or a way of life, like the UK, Germany or France.

Sorry for going off topic, I will give you my reasons for liking BLs in the next post :)

Oh ok. But many people when talking about the west, are mostly referring to the US, even when talking about politics and that generalization is nonsense, cause the european continent has nothing to do with US in many aspects.

Indeed the three countries you mentioned-adding some of the northern ones, are the most progressive part of Europe

Okay there's something I've been meaning to ask that keeps coming up in this discussion. Where does this "it's easier / safer/ etc. to come out and/or be gay" in the "West" aka US mentality come from? Yes same-sex marriage is legal, yes there are some protections from discrimination in some states, and yes there are pockets where it is more accepted than others, but that certainly doesn't mean it's easier / safer / etc.

It's all a surface deep deception of acceptance. LGBTQ+ youth are still among the highest in homelessness, suicide rates, acts of emotional / physical abuse. There are still numerous cases of LGBTQ+ in general being attacked, etc. it just doesn't get talked about anymore or glossed over, just like general homelessness, poverty, lack of medical care, etc.

LGBTQ+ representation in media still gets huge amounts of backlash, boycotts, most LGBTQ+ series are lucky if they last 1-2 seasons with the few that are even done and the ones that do make it that far are typically the ones where the characters might as well be straight.

I've used this as an example before, but look at the US versions of "Queer as Folk" from 2000-2005 and "Queer As Folk" 2022.

The original version from 2000 was and is still seen as being groundbreaking because it portrayed LGBTQ+ as just everyday normal human beings trying to live their lives, gain the same rights as straight people, etc. It dealt with so many topics from homophobia, gay bashing / murder / violence against drag queens, HIV/AIDS, same-sex marriage, and so many other topics. Even then, several of the cast were LGTBQ+ in a time where being so and doing such a series was seen as career suicide.

The 2022 series was obnoxious and surface deep in the way it handled some of the same topics and even make a joke about a character revealing that they were infected with HIV. Yes it had more cast that were openly LGBTQ+. In many, many aspects it was a huge step backwards from what had been done 20 plus years ago.

-------

Sure compared to other places it seems like there's been a lot of progress, but how much of that has been actual meaningful progress and how much of it is just LGBTQ+ just simply no longer giving 2 two fucks what anyone else thinks about it anymore. 

@Vals Stor That's why I said "generally" and not "all" or "nearly all".

ZhouYanRan:

The general meaning of "The West" is the US & Canada plus Europe West & north of Poland & the Balkans. I'll just pause here and let everyone study a map and needlessly point out the Finland is east of Poland because there are a lot of people that are so literal that you can't generalize at all, meaning communication is impossible because there are no words that mean anything. 

While it's true someone Chinese might consider everything  from Kazakhstan westward "West", we're conversing in English, not Mandarin, so the West is defined per the above. 

@CursedXistence  The simple answer is that "easier" is not the same thing as "easy". COVID is easier to endure than pancreatic cancer, but that doesn't mean COVID is fun. Would you rather be gay in a Georgia (the US state) high school, or a Korean one? 

Regardinf QAF, I think your example means the opposite of your point. That the original (the actual original was British, which was way better than the US version) needed to point out the LGBT people are just normal people, that's because it was necessary to do it. The recent version is just as vapid as all other entertainment, which indicates far more people don't see LGBT people as different anymore.

Actually, there was a period where all gay characters were so perfect and so normal that they were boring as f$#% and ended up being written out of series because they had no narrative purpose and were just a salary that had to be paid. Melrose Place is a good example. Now gay characters can be villains or have flaws. 

ZhouYanRan:

Bingo, you put it perfectly with "the West is more a concept than a location."   One does not want to get technical about every line drawn on a map. Besides, when Asians think of the Western World they think of the US and Europe.  I think the other commenter thought we were only including the US in our comments, cuz some people tend to think the US is the center of the world, lol.

jpny, thank you for putting it so well with "easier" is not the same as "easy."  Because it IS easier in the West.  And the fact that we legalized gay marriage means a lot.  It means that the majority of Americans voted for it.  One can conclude, by extension, that the majority of Americans are cool with gay people overall.  This is not the case in Asia and Arab countries.  Christ, the Muslims will toss you off a roof if you're gay.   

The only place where it's hard to be gay in America is the Bible Belt where some Born Again Christians might want to put you in a conversion camp.  But that's a small psychotic population compared to the rest of our country.

Regarding jpny01's comment that there was a period where all gay characters were so perfect, this also was the case with black people in the early 60's when the Civil Rights movement exploded.  Hollywood wanted to be liberal and portray black people as something other than maids, which was great.  Only they went the opposite direction with a movie like "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" in which Sidney Poiteir was a doctor, had lots of money, was well mannered, had  a nice family, didn't drink or smoke, etc.  The point was that a black person has to be perfect in order for white people to accept them.   It's actually better to show black people having some flaws, because that makes the portrayal more human.  Likewise, portraying gay people with flaws makes them more human. 

One amplification - "the Muslims" is too broad. We get a bad impression because of extreme places like Iran and Saudi Arabia, but elsewhere the situation is much different. In Turkey, in the upper classes there's virtually no oppropbrium at all, and the Ottoman Empire, which was the actual Caliphate, decriminalized sodomy in 1858 - as opposed to the USA, which did it in 2004. Also, while you can't be open in many or most Muslim countries, the culture is also way, way more respectful of privacy.  A man can be flaming and nobody will assume he's gay - they might know it, but they wouldn't treat him as if they knew it. It's actually mildly rude to ask a coworker about his family - only close friends can do that.

Islam in general differs from Christianity in that Muslims care about how people treat public life, not private, whereas Christians care about what you're thinking. Also, Muslim societies are consensus-driven and so it's possible to reach a tipping point where homosexuality is suddenly socially acceptable. In the USA, acceptance of gays is rising much faster than any other group - they started from a low place, but they're at over 50% - because they live in society where it's no longer socially acceptable to be homophobic. At least for the L, G, & B.  There are still a lot of issues with TQ+, but then LG&B have a lot of issues with elements of TQ+ too.  

@Maggi64

Your last 2 lines were exactly my point: 

"I think the other commenter thought we were only including the US in our comments, cuz some people tend to think the US is the center of the world, lol."

Upper classes are generally more flexible in many things including homosexuality.

But in Turkey, even though its one of the less theocratic countries, no, homosexuality is still a huge problem for the majority of  people-including upper classes. In addition, turkish people tend to be very concerned about one's private life, income, relationships, family-sometimes they even come as rude-its part of their mediterranean temperament, so when they suspect someone being gay, they will definetely interfere.

There's no way someone in Turkey to be gay and live a normal life without facing everything that a gay person suffers anywhere in the world-ok they dont shoot him-but still, their society cant tolerate homosexuality at all. They can hardly accept a hetero couple who live together without being married.

Vals Stor:

Upper classes are generally more flexible in many things including homosexuality.

But in Turkey, even though its one of the less theocratic countries, no, homosexuality is still a huge problem for the majority of  people-including upper classes. In addition, turkish people tend to be very concerned about one's private life, income, relationships, family-sometimes they even come as rude-its part of their mediterranean temperament, so when they suspect someone being gay, they will definetely interfere.

There's no way someone in Turkey to be gay and live a normal life without facing everything that a gay person suffers anywhere in the world-ok they dont shoot him-but still, their society cant tolerate homosexuality at all. They can hardly accept a hetero couple who live together without being married.

Of course it is a problem - but nobody is going to toss you off a building for being gay. I totally disagree about the concern over private life - within a social group or family, yes, but not in general. Nobody will ask you if you're gay or make a public assumption that you are. I've had no problem being gay there - although of course I don't discuss it. My grandparents were born during the Ottoman Empire, and they had no problem with it - one of my grandmother's closest friends was gay. 

A university study in 2016 found that 33% of people thought LGBT people should have equal rights, which rose to 45% in 2020, which is a very rapid increase. In 2015, 27% supported gay marriage, 19% supported civil unions, 25% were opposed to any gay unions, and 29% were undecided. That is far from a universal abhorrence. If you took a poll of Chechen or Saudis, you'd get a much different result. In the USA, a larger number (31%) are opposed to gay marriage, although more support it, too.

I would definitely not live in the countryside, where everyone knows everyone's business as a matter of course - but if I did I'd either have been married off or moved to the city, where it's much easier and especially young people don't have a problem with gay. 

Turkey is an odd case where there is a rather large secularist population, as well as an Islamist population, with most people more or less in the middle, being vaguely Muslim, i.e. never go to the mosque. The state is getting worse because the ruling party is Islamist and the president is a dictator, and for some reason, dictatorial regimes don't like gays. That creates liberal pockets in Istanbul, Ankara, and most of Izmir where you can see gay couples holding hands. So I think it's a lot more complex than you've painted it.